Thursday, July 17, 2008


Notre Dame looks as if it was born there, thus giving it ownership of that portion of the Isle de France. It is a huge structure that is visible for a long way. The day I was there they were cleaning the pipes of the giant organ. It sounded a lot like Phantom of the Opera! The inside was dark and cavernous, but the windows were breathtaking.

The Louvre is the largest building I think I have ever seen. It wraps around an enormous courtyard and has many arches and entry points. I was lucky enough to stumble by on a discount evening so got in for only 6 Euro's. Things here are very expensive, but if you're frugal and creative and don't mind eating fruit, cheese and croissants from the vendors stalls, it's not so bad.

In the Louvre, I saw up close and personal paintings that I have only seen in picture books. To my amazement we were allowed to take pictures, even with flash (although I just couldn't bring myself to use the flash, knowing how damaging that can be to the works). I only had an hour and a half, but that was enough for my poor feet and to see some astounding sculpture, paintings and objet d'art.

I also had the pleasure of the company of this couple from New Zealand. We had a lot of laughs and conversation on the top of the tour bus as the gems of Paris went whipping by.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this is gorgeous and it must be breathtaking in person.
sg